Sunday, September 17, 2006

No Idea!

Many of you will remember that when Emmeline was a baby her favorite phrase was, "No idea!" (pronounced "no 'dea"). Well, we haven't heard the phrase in a while until today on the way home from church. As we summitted on the way home, Luke was going off about how all the speakers in stake conference had gone over leaving no time for the Stake President, how he couldn't hear anything because we had to sit in the back, etc. Once he was done with his tirade he asked EmJ what she learned in church and she said clearly, with attitude, "I have no-o idea!" It was hysterical and totally fit the moment. Ironically, Willie's favorite phrase right now is, "I don't know." That's helpful. Did you hit your brother? I don't know. Do you need a diaper change? I don't know. Can you count to ten for me? I don't know.

One other humorous story, that perfectly illustrates the great "country" we live in. Emmeline and Joshua were playing outside at the park with Joshua's pop gun (and about three other kids). I could see the kids from the window, as could the parents of all the other kids. Anyway, I'm sitting at my window laughing at the kids playing Mcgyver or something, and all of a sudden the apartment security man speeds up in his golf cart yelling to "put the gun down!" My kids, of course, clammed up, but one of the other girls held up the gun to show him it was just a toy.

Now, I have no problem with building security looking out for my kids. Awesome. I do have a problem with the fact that somebody finked on my kids. Somebody too nosy to mind their own business and too cowardly to take any responsibility. Don't you think that if you saw kids that you thought were playing with a gun you would get that gun from them as soon as possible? In this case, all you had to do was watch or listen for two seconds to know they did NOT have a gun.

Grrrr. I was going to go off about personal responsibility, with words like liberal and moron mixed in, but that wouldn't be very nice. I'm no good at articulating myself anyway. It just really bothered me that this happened and that the motivation of the "finker" was all wrong. Besides, it's probably the same person that tattle-tales when the kids ride their bikes out there. Grrrr.

Finally, we've been teaching the kids how to spell. Next time you see them, ask them how to spell Success...they'll say "W-O-R-K." We're working on Problems..."L-I-B-E-R-A-L."

Well, now I feel sufficiently guilty for chewing out the world. We're not always this cynical! I promise that the next post will be good and uplifting!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

thats crazy! As if that gun looks real! It's not even black!!! sheesh!