Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Beware: Long Post, No Pictures!!

Benjamin is no longer a baby. Every time I look at him he looks more and more like a boy. He doesn't even walk like a baby anymore, and he's getting more opinionated by the minute. He's trying hard to communicate, but unfortunately has learned the art of the scream! Here are Benjamin's stats at 15 months:

Heigt: 32 1/2 inches
Weight: 23 pounds

The baby books are packed, so I can't compare...although I know that Joshua was 24 pounds at 2 years!!

My neice, Olivia, once had the nickname "The Great Mover of Things." I'm not sure the whole story behind that nickname, but as I find sodas in the bathroom cupboards, toothbrushes in the kitchen cupboards, and tupperware lids in the clothes hamper I'm thinking that Benjamin has also earned the nickname!

Well, we are getting ourselves settled at Grandma's house. For those of you who don't know, Luke started a new job last week. We are moving to SoCal for the summer. Luke is already there, and the kids and I are staying with Grandma for a while. We'll join him later--hopefully sooner than later! We are so grateful to have a place to stay, store some junk. My grandma is a saint and we love her very much...she is one of the saving graces of living in California!

I also wanted to report on our WONDERFUL trip to Yankee Stadium! Luke and I flew to NYC last Wednesday night. When we got there it was too early to check into our hotel, so we stowed our luggage and walked to Central Park, the Museum of Natural History, and Mickey Mantles (the restaurant). We spent the afternoon mostly in the park, exploring, and ended up walking miles and miles and miles and miles...Later, after a quick nap, we hit Times Square. We went to dinner at the ESPN restaurant (cool!!!!) with my long-lost best friend Juliet and her boyfriend, Steve. I spent every day with her growing up, but hadn't seen her in 13 years. It was so much fun to be able to catch up and reminisce...we should have had a camera crew on hand! On Friday, we went to Wall Street. When we finally found the building where my dad used to work, so many memories--mostly snipet pictures in my mind--flooded my brain. I so badly wanted to go up the elevator and drink some Hawaiian Punch (remember, Lin?!). We also saw the Brooklyn Bridge, Trinity Church, and of course Ground Zero. Working our way back uptown we also saw the Manhattan Temple, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Madison Square Garden, and various Trump buildings. That afternoon we headed up to Yankee Stadium. It was incredible. I've been waiting so long to be there that I've downright convinced myself of it's magic. I started getting all teary-eyed when I saw it, and Luke promptly walked away! We explored all around the stadium, admired the vendors selling anti-Red Sox t-shirts, ate hot dogs (yum), then entered the Stadium and explored it as well. We sat in left field and came pretty close to catching a home run--we were sitting in the second deck and I leaned as far as I could without falling! (Oh, and for you M's fans--it was Jose Lopez's homerun, so I would have had to throw it back!) Luke did nothing to make himself stand out as a Mariner's fan, thus there were no fights or death glares from drunk Yankee fans. I did, however, watch some poor girl wearing a Philadelphia Eagles t-shirt get cussed out by one of the concession salesmen!!! While we're talking about scary things that could happen in the city, on the subway on the way home that evening, we learned all we needed to know about the sales and distribution of, um, illegal substances...thank goodness I've perfected my eavesdropping while appearing totally disinterested look! Okay, on Saturday, we went to the Statue of Liberty and then stopped back at Trump Tower to have some Trump ice cream. We window shopped on 5th avenue, and just acted like obnoxious tourists. We went back to Yankee Stadium again where I got to see batting practice and go to monument park (thank you, Luke!!). The tears fell again...I know, I'm so pathetic! We had to get to the airport, so we left as the game was starting. Too bad because Wang pitched a perfect game into the eigth! And, alas, our Yankee experience came to an end. So sad. Back to real life. It was a fabulous weekend! Thanks again to mom and dad for sending us on the trip, and mom for watching the kids without complaint even though they were throwing up on you all weekend!

All right! Enough rambling...I can't wait to post pictures from the trip!

2 comments:

Linds said...

I do remember drinking my body weight in Hawaiian punch and watching fireworks over the river on the 4th of July. That's so cool that you got to see Juliet too! It sounds like a great trip. Wish we could have gone with, but I'm so exicited to come visit you in Cali and win money on the Price is Right!(At least I can dream...)

Laura A said...

Yes, you got it. Open a drawer and "WHAT?? How did this get in here?" or the more common, "where is the such-and-such?" Knowing full well that Liv did it.