Sunday, October 12, 2008

Barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen

Well, I'm most definately NOT pregnant, and it's too cold to be barefoot, but I have been IN THE KITCHEN nonstop these last couple weeks. Harvesting the garden and fruit trees has brought a flurry of domesticity to my kitchen. The kids and Luke need to enjoy it while it lasts. In the last couple weeks I've picked apples and pears, canned the pears (19 bottles from my two trees!), will can the apples tomorrow, frozed about 10 quarts of zucchini from my garden, and bottled three quarts of salsa from my meager tomato harvest. I've also discovered that baking bread is not that difficut with the help of the bread machine's dough cycle and a rolling pin (Yes, I've been married for seven years and I just got my first rolling pin). We've enjoyed homemade bread, hot dog buns, and cinnamon rolls near constantly, along with our new favorite breakfast, lunch, and dinner--homemade granola. I've even made banana bread a couple of times, and crepes...mmmmmm....crepes...(but my blender broke yesterday, no more crepes I guess).

Whew!

I fully realize that most of you reading this probably cook a lot, or at least regularly, but I don't, so I feel pretty accomplished right now! We haven't eaten frozen chicken nuggets in at least two weeks, it's some kind of record.

And that's it. Sorry there are no pictures today. But Luke's family will get a kick out of this one...

There was a visitor in Joshua's primary class today. In the car on the way home I asked what the visitor's name was. "John." For some reason (I can't even imagine why, "A"), this was hysterical to Gus, who started saying, over and over, "Jo-ohn." "Jo-ohn." "Jo-ohn."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sooooo jealous! Kathis Russel just had me over so she could teach me how to can, I wish I had fruit trees. Also thanks for the encouragement on prop 8, its scary to think what could happen if it doesn't pass!