Thursday, May 07, 2009

Teacher Appreciation Week

This post isn't actually about teacher appreciation, though I do immensely enjoy both EmJ and Willie's teachers, and their schools.

It's the PTA that stinks.

Seriously, how hard is it to plan an end of the year party?

Order some pizza, sell soda and popcorn, take photos in a decorated corner of the gym, make some posters to advertize, rent a bounce house, play some music, do some face painting, have a bake sale.

Not hard.

Or is it?

According to WA state law, we can't do a cake walk because it's a "game of chance". So is Bingo, but they have bingo nights all the time...

A bake sale is a liability. Is it worth the risk of sending a kid to the hospital because an item is mislabeled?

What?

Oh, and we have to HIRE a photographer and face painter. Because apparently kids nowadays expect professional peace signs and rainbows on their cheeks.

Am I crazy? Does this have to be so complicated?

I'm willing to wager that kids will find a way to have fun without needing all the extras. I'm willing to wager that they'll have MORE fun.

But I'm in the minority. And I'm passive aggressive. So, I've gone from party planner to just-tell-me-what-you-want-me-to-do person.

But I'm still not hiring a face painter. That's just silly.

Mom, what are you doing on the 12th? Are you good with peace signs and rainbows?

No comments: