Saturday, January 08, 2011

Picasso

Emmeline is my budding artist. She loves to create, using any medium. Recently, she has developed a fascination with Pablo Picasso. So, for Christmas, Santa brought her tickets to the Picasso exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum (valid on free museum day...that Santa, always thinkin'...)! If you can't find EmJ in this picture, she is the one with the chicken legs, pointing to the Picasson sign.
Now, my love for the SAM begins and ends with the Hammering Man. So, naturally, I had to make sure that we got a picture with him. I would have been content to show her the hammering man, eat dinner, and then hop a bus back home...but Picasso was calling her name.

After we made it through the exhibit, we headed down to the little art studio, where we drew portraits of each other.


Notice the chicken legs.
So, if I were to ask EmJ to tell us about this experience in her own words, she would give a long winded answer about how she loved learning about Picasso's blue period, how the nude pictures were "kinda gross", and how cool it was that he made a sculpture out of a bicycle seat and handlebars. (In fact, the best part for me was seeing EmJ gravitate to Picasso's sculptures made out of, for lack of a better word, JUNK. They are two peas in a pod. I can hear poor Pablo saying, "Mom, don't throw that used up firework away, I can make something out of it. And didn't I tell you to save the toilet paper rolls? Where did my bag of string go?")
Merry Christmas, EmJ!!!




No comments: