Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Road to the Olympics Goes through....


Everett?

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. Everett is about the grossest place on the face of the earth.

However, they hosted the Pacific Rim Gymnastics Championships this past weekend--the last big international meet before the Olympic trials.

And I got to go!!!

Thanks Luke! You're the man.

This first picture is my view from my seat....I actually only sat there long enough to take this photo. Shortly after the Australian team started their rotation on floor, one of their gymnasts came out of her tumbling pass and dislocated her ankle...I know that doesn't sound terrible, but it was the grossest thing I've ever seen--and I was pretty far away. The poor girl's foot was backwards and the bone pierced the skin. When she passed out, I started to get woozy and actually had to remove myself (hey, so did one of the judges)! After I saved my dinner and recovered a bit, I found an awesome seat up close and personal.

All in all, I got to go to four of the six sessions. Here are the Americans warming up on bars (sitting up by the men's high bar the next day was wicked cool--I mean seriously amazing).

Another highlight of the weekend was talking to gold medalist Carly Patterson. Our conversation went like this,

Me: Are you going to announce from right here?
Carly: Uh-huh!
Me: Then I will get out of the shot.

Me and Carly, we're BFFs now. She should have awarded me the lifetime supply of Kellogg's cereal just for removing my pregnant self from in front of the camera.

And the best part,

watching team USA win 13 gold medals, including both men's and women's team and men's and women's all-around.

I got to stand for the National Anthem over and over again and I loved every minute of it.

Let's hope that their showing in London this summer is comparable!!

Maybe Carly can get me some free passes...



(The USA women's team...China in 2nd, Canada in 3rd.)

(I've got to start wearing more red.)

No comments: