Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Let, let, let your Feelings Out


So, last night was Emmeline's spring music concert. Through the concert, Luke and I were rudely preparing a blog post about how intensely painful the concert was, the ills of public schools and political correctness, and the absolute torture of turning a perfectly horrible country song into a perfectly horrific elementary school concert song...

"Don't laugh at me, don't call me names, don't get you pleasure from my pains..."

Oh, it was painful. Especially the line about a "single teenage mother trying to overcome my past" that they changed to say, "the slowest on the playground, the one who comes in last."

Really? Someone has to be last.

FYI, it's usually EmJ....who doesn't care one whit if you laugh at her. After all, she has the king and queen of teasing and sarcasm for her parents.

(I have to add a little note here that the kids chosen to sing solos were, for the most part, very good. Especially the little girl from my primary class--she's stellar.)

And then there was "We will, we will...GIVE YOU PEACE!"

(At this point, Luke was banging his head on the chair in front of him.)

And the rap. Rap?

And the prom dresses....and the flowers...and the grandparents that came in especially for the occassion....

(I kept reminding Luke that my mom swears that elementary orchestra concerts are far worse. Oh, the things we have to look forward to...)

But, then Reillee decided that she would start dancing and made us and everyone around us laugh so hard we cried. I don't know if she was just really feelin' the groove, or if her hair was stuck on her face, but her performance made the rest of the evening (kind of) worth it.

The video doesn't do it justice, but I was laughing too hard to hold the camera steady.

Thanks, Reillee.

And, yes, we were laughing at you, calling you names, and getting pleasure from your pains...or something like that.

No comments: