Tuesday, August 22, 2017

On editing, or lack thereof

I recently read a fantastic book entitled, "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry."  The main character is a 7 year old girl who, among other quirks, carries a red pen in her pocket for the express purpose of making corrections when needed on printed materials.

I may or may not be that girl.

Here is the sign that greeted me at middle school registration, "Free Treat's on Every Fridays."

For real.  That was not a joke.  I had to try really hard to keep my thought bubble inside my head.

EVERY SINGLE email from the high school has at least one typo.  The elementary school is worse.  Don't even get me started on their teachers.  Or the programs at church.  Or the ride warning signs at Six Flags.  Or the local market that says, "Sweet Cheries $1.49/lb."  I can't even shop there.  And Joshua's Instagram?  The "cherie" on top.

I add to my kids' homework by asking them to proofread the letters from their teachers.  I frequently consider offering to proofread everything before it gets sent home.....but isn't there a minimum standard for office managers?

Then I pull up my blog or open a Chatbook to reminisce, and I realize I'm both that girl AND the moron that missed proofreading day in 2nd grade.

So, perhaps, playing "Spot the Error" isn't a great use of my time or a great lesson to teach my kids or good for my blood pressure.

I remind my kids at least a million times every day to "worry about YOU!"  And not to exaggerate.  Seriously, a million times.  Probably a lesson I could take to heart.

Free Treat's on every Friday's!!!   

1 comment:

Alivia Burnham said...

Things that make us sic