Friday, September 14, 2018

No Apologies

Once upon a time, in a high school Creative Writing class, I wrote a poem that described my dream for the future.  That future included a house full of kids and a white picket fence.  My dear, dear teacher wrote on the paper, "I have no doubt that you will accomplish your dream!"

She had to write that on every paper, of course, but Mrs. Mulvey, I've accomplished my dream!  In this not-so-little house that is ours live 8 happy, healthy children.  And a few weeks ago, we began a landscaping remodel that will include (if we ever get it done!) a white picket fence.

Let me stop here to tell you a little something about myself.  I'm crazy smart.  Like Doogie Howser smart.  I received scholarships and had colleges court me.  My interests were as vast as they could be, my abilities not far behind (though I'll never play baseball for the Yankees *sad face*).  In short, I had the absolute confidence that I could do, be, accomplish anything.  The world was at my fingertips, there for the taking.

I chose to get married.  I chose to start a family immediately.  I know, because they've told me, that people cried for lost potential, for a life in ruins, for what could have been.

But I'm not sorry.

Did ya hear that?!  NOT SORRY!!

In what other career could I explore management styles, medicine, psychology, teaching, speech therapy, occupational therapy, neuroscience (dude, I've got teenagers now), art, organizational behavior, motivation, physical education, nutrition, cosmetology (dude, I've got teenagers now), finance, and information technology?  What other career could provide the breadth and depth of emotion, interconnection, and satisfaction?  In what other career could I display the best and worst of myself in an utterly safe environment?  In what other career could I see my hopes and dreams played out in the eyes of a child?  In what other career could I realize how dumb I really am? And in what other career would I have the opportunity to train up the next generation of Doogie Howsers and Yankee greats?

I submit to you -- none.




No comments: