Friday, September 14, 2018

October Quotables







Once upon a time, I loved blogging...

Today, I'm sitting on my couch with a broken ankle, trying not to have a panic attack over all the things that AREN'T getting done.  My sister suggested that I spend my time writing a million blog posts for her to read.  So, I dusted off the old blog and found a few drafts that I never actually published.  This story was worth sharing.  So Alivia, here's for you:

From October 2017:

Reillee and Sam were having a hard time paying attention to General Conference (how dare you interrupt my pajama church!), so I asked them both to sit up, pay attention to the next speaker, and write me a one paragraph summary of the talk.

Jeffrey R. Holland was up, and his talk was about striving for, and recognizing that we will never achieve, perfection.

When it ended, I reminded the girls to write their summaries.  Some time later, I reminded them again and asked them to bring me the finished product.  Sam quickly turned over a generic paragraph outlining something that could cover just about any talk.  No apologies.  Reillee, however, dragged her feet and dragged her feet and refused to give it to me...

I finally had to count...8, 9, 9 1/2, 9 3/4, 9 7/8, 9 9/10....and she burst into uncontrollable sobs, melting into a puddle on the floor.  I wondered if she had a puppy that I didn't know about that just died or something.  I mean, I've never seen anything like her sobbing!

When I was able to calm her down enough to make out the cause of her tears, I realized that she was ashamed that her paragraph about striving for perfection wasn't exactly perfect.

The greatest irony here is that the paragraph was pretty darn perfect.

Oh, Reillee!

No comments: